The Governors can be likened to non-executive directors. They are drawn from a variety of areas to represent various views of the community and are expected to be the ‘critical friend ‘ of the school. They are appointed for four years to help make decisions on school policy. The Governing Body meets regularly, once a term and has resolved to conduct its business by delegating its statutory functions to a Finance Committee as well as appointing individuals to the delegated governor roles of Safeguarding, SEND and Health & Safety.
Governors are appointed to help to:
– produce, monitor and update the School Improvement Plan; together with staff
– decide what is taught, in conjunction with the National Curriculum
– agree targets in relation to learning
– set standards of behaviour
– interview and select staff
– decide how the budget is spent
– maintain premises
– ensure the Health and Safety Regulations are met
– ensure staff have continuing professional development
School Governors cannot act individually, they can only make joint decisions after discussion.
St Mary's Governing Body
Chair of the Governors:
Vice-Chair of Governors:
Mrs L Fisher
Mrs P Simmons and Mr J Yarrow
|Appointed by Staff:||VACANCY|
|Appointed by Parents:||
Mrs R Sheffield
|Appointed by Diocese:||
Mrs L Fisher
Mrs R Hindle
Mrs P Simmons
Mr J Yarrow
Mr N Simmons
|Ex-Officio Diocese:||Rev'd M Carter|
|Ex-Officio Executive Headteacher||Ms H Comfort|
|Clerk to the Governors:||Mr R Dale|
Parent governors must have a child at the school and are elected by the parents.
Further information regarding the Governing Body can be found in the document below.